Texas Mulch Fire Finally Extinguished

March 28, 2007
The announcement means that it is safe for residents to return home, officials said.

After burning for more than three months, a huge pile of mulch in Helotes has been extinguished, Texas Commission On Environmental Quality officials announced Tuesday.

The announcement means that it is safe for residents to return home, officials said.

Air monitor readings are in the good-to-moderate range, officials said. Fixed monitors will remain on site but mobile monitoring will end soon.

The fire, which had been burning since Christmas Day on private property at 12354 FM 1560 North, had made life miserable for residents and public officials.

Smoke from the fire forced schools to close, forced residents to visit doctor's offices and created headaches for public agencies trying to find ways to extinguish the stubborn blaze.

Denise Saathoff said now that the fire is out, her daughter, who suffers from ashtma, will hopefully be able to breathe easier.

"I think it's great," Saathoff said. "We don't have to wake up anymore to the smell. We can keep our windows open while it's still cool and not have to worry about the smell."

The firefighting efforts cost $5.5 million, which will be paid with existing TCEQ funds.

TCEQ officials said they will try to recover the money from the land owner, Henry Zumwalt.

"We appreciate the efforts of all of the professional firefighters, environmental experts, TCEQ staff members, legislators and local partners who helped us respond to this unusual event," Glenn Shankle, TCEQ executive director, said in a press release.

Voice Your Opinion!

To join the conversation, and become an exclusive member of Firehouse, create an account today!